Herbal Remedies for Insomnia
A tea from natural herbal remedies has been used for centuries by many cultures to treat insomnia.
Below are the most commonly used natural herbs that can improve sleep:
- Chamomile - is a sweet-tasting herb that depresses the central nervous system the way anti-anxiety drugs do, reducing stress and promoting sleep
- Valerian is a natural herbal tranquilizer, but without the dulling or hangover effects the next day. It is considered to be the best natural solution for insomnia and general sleeplessness for most individuals
- Lavender - has been shown to calm the activity of the central nervous system
- Hops - helps induce sleep by suppressing central nervous system
- Passion Flower is a mild sedative, produces calmness and relaxation, while also reducing anxiety
- Primrose - helps to relaxat, aids with depression
- Catnip - relieves restlessness and induces a calming sleep
- Rosemary - relieves anxiety and stress and promotes metabolic health
- Kava - helps promote muscle relaxation and increase sleep quality
- Lemon Balm
Some people find herbal sleep remedies to be a safe, nontoxic, more natural and healthier alternative to the over-the-counter sleep medications or prescription drugs for treating insomnia.
Although generally, herbal sleep aids, such as tea, are less potent than prescription medications. They also tend to have fewer side effects, such as dulled thinking and morning hangovers, and thay are much less likely to cause addiction.
Many health food markets, drug stores and other outlets carry herbal combinations for natural insomnia treatment. Try low doses at first, and don't overdo it.